Click here


If you want to carry out alterations and improvements to your home, please get our written permission before you proceed.

The following work requires permission (please note this list is not exhaustive)
  • Works affecting the structure of the building
  • Works affecting any services to the property, for example electrics, gas, drainage, water
  • Installation of central heating/replacement of boiler
  • Any change to the internal layout of your property
  • Erection of a conservatory
  • Rewiring
  • New kitchens and bathrooms, where it is not a like-for-like replacement
  • Changing or removing any internal doors. 

Some work doesn’t require our permission such as:
  • The installation of a satellite dish – needs approval from the estate office and council’s planning department
  • Changing your flat entrance door – also needs approval from the estate office
  • Fitting wooden floors – by law, you must also lay down sound insulation. There is specific advice regarding laying flooring here
  • Replacing kitchen and bathroom units - as long as it does not include gas and electrical works or work to the drainage.

If you sublet your home you are responsible for meeting the landlord's statutory obligations under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. This means you must:
  • Ensure that all gas appliances, installation pipework and flues for which you are responsible, are in a safe condition.
  • Arrange for your gas appliances and flues to be checked for safety every 12 months.
  • Ensure the work is carried out using a Gas Safe Register registered fitter by asking to see a current registration certificate or ringing Gas Safe Register engineer on 0800 408 5500 or online at
  • Keep a record of all safety checks carried out for at least two years after the safety check.
  • Ensure your sub-tenant receives a copy of the gas safety check record within 28 days of the inspection.
  • Ensure any new sub-tenant receives a copy of the current gas safety check record before they move in for the first time.

What will happen if I don't apply for permission?

You will be breaking the terms of your lease and we could take legal action against you. This will stop any further works and make you reinstate any unacceptable alterations.

You will also be liable for our legal costs.

Making an application for permission

Please complete the alterations application form and send it to us.

Once your application is received, we will advise you about how it is processed and any conditions that apply.

There is an initial fee of £140 to process the application, which includes two hours of our surveyor's time to inspect the proposed works. Our surveyor charges £40 per hour and we will charge for any additional time required. Other fees include £225 legal fee for licence for alterations and a £50 administration fee.

Along with your application form and £140, we ask that you provide floor plans of the current layout, floor plans of proposed layout and public liability insurance provided by your contractor carrying out the works. The insurance policy must cover no less than £2million.

We will advise if you need to get other building regulations or planning permission, or approval from regulatory bodies.

In some circumstances, other residents in the block or building will be consulted about your proposals.

Please also note that in regard to this application, CityWest Homes acts on behalf of the City of Westminster as landlord and not in its capacity as a planning authority or any other capacity. You may need to obtain separate consent

What if Westminster City Council isn't the freeholder of my block?

A separate application for approval should be made to the freeholder. We submit all applications to the freeholder on your behalf. Please contact lessee services to discuss as fees and requirements can vary depending on who the freeholder is.

Where can I get advice?

If you are unsure about who you need to talk to about landlord’s consent, contact us on 020 7245 2106 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

How much is my Property Worth?